Frequently Asked Questions?

What do I do if my Railcard is stolen?

To replace a stolen 16-25 Railcard you bought online, please go to ‘Manage my Railcard’ on the website homepage to log in to your account. Once logged in, click on ‘Details’ under your active 16-25 Railcard, then click on ‘Replace Railcard (Lost or stolen)’. Select ‘stolen’, then click continue and follow the instructions on the screen. You will have to provide a crime reference number, or a document given to you by the Police for a free replacement. You can also call our Helpline on 0345 3000 250.

To replace a stolen 16-25 Railcard you bought at a station, please go to a station with your crime reference number/documentation given to you by the police and some form of identification to be issued with a free replacement. You will also need to provide a new passport-style photo if you need to replace your stolen 16-25 Railcard Photocard at a station.