Railcard Terms & Conditions
Conditions of issue and use of the 16-25 Railcard and reduced priced tickets ('discounted tickets') bought with a 16-25 Railcard
ATOC Ltd enters into the contract for the issue and use of the 16-25 Railcard on behalf of the Train Companies. Reference to a ‘Train Company’ or the ‘Train Companies’ means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Railway Services in Great Britain. Any other licensed passenger train operators that may join the arrangement will accept the 16-25 Railcard for travel on their services.
- You must sign the Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the conditions as stated here.
- You must be aged 16-25 years old to purchase Railcard. Mature students are also eligible to purchase the 1-year Railcard if over 25 years old and in full time education (with valid proof). 3-year 16-25 Railcards are available online only and may be purchased up until the day before your 24th birthday.
- The Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given, loaned, or resold to anyone else.
- Railcards purchased online will incorporate your photograph. If you have a Railcard that does not incorporate your photograph, you must carry a separate 16-25 Photocard (or where appropriate a ‘Permit to travel without Photocard’) and you must present this in any circumstance where you present your Railcard (buying tickets or travelling with reduced priced tickets).
- Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.
- You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, the Train Companies reserve the right to charge you the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no ticket was purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy a discounted ticket.
- A £12 minimum fare applies for journeys starting between 4.30am-10am Monday to Friday excluding Advance Fares. This minimum fare does not apply on Public Holidays or throughout July and August.
- The Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. The Train Companies do not undertake to issue refunds on unused/unwanted Railcards, or to extend their validity. In the event of loss or damage an application for the replacement of a Railcard may be made: where the original Railcard was purchased at a rail station this may only be requested at a staffed station ticket office (the completed ‘Receipt’ voucher from the original application form must be produced); where the Railcard was purchased online, customers may only request a replacement online.
- Only one replacement may be issued in a 12 month period for lost or damaged Railcards and a £10 administration fee is payable. No fee will be charged for the replacement of a stolen Railcard provided you have a crime reference number/documentation issued by the Police. You will be requested to show some form of identification if obtaining a replacement from a station.
- The Railcard and all tickets issued at a Railcard discount are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the conditions listed here. Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/46427.aspx
- The Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
- The right is reserved to revise these Conditions. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months’ notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
Fraudulent use of Railcards and Railcard discounted tickets may lead to criminal prosecution.
As long as you are aged 25 at the time that the Railcard is purchased, you may still travel at the discounted fare throughout the validity period of the Railcard, even if you become 26 years old during that time. Likewise, 3-year 16-25 Railcards purchased online up until the day before your 24th birthday will be valid for a full 3 years.
Terms and conditions are valid up to and including 15 May 2016.