Tickets & Travel times
A Railcard will give you 1/3 off the price of the following ticket types:
- Standard Anytime and Anytime Day Singles and Returns
- Standard Off-Peak and Off-Peak Day Singles and Returns
- Standard Super Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak Day Singles and Returns
- Standard and First Class Advance*
- Most Rail Rovers
- Gatwick Express, Stansted Express, Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect Services
- Oyster Off-Peak pay as you go Daily Price Cap and Off-Peak pay as you go single fares for journeys on National Rail, London Underground and Docklands Light Railway.
- Off-Peak Day Travelcard Zones 1-6 (subject to a minimum fare of £5.90) Some ticket types offered by individual train companies. Please enquire locally for details
- Anytime Day Travelcard Zones 1-6 when bought as part of ticket to London from outside the London Zones area (Subject to minimum fare of £17)
- PLUSBUS give you unlimited bus travel from your start/arrival station with participating operators. Visit plusbus.info or ask at your local station ticket office for further details
* These tickets need to be booked before you travel.
Minimum fares / Time restrictions
Please remember that for all journeys made at or between 4.30am and 10am Monday to Friday, a £12 minimum fare applies. This means that the Railcard is not suitable for most daily commutes to work or places of study. Don’t forget that if you travel regularly between 4.30am and 10am Monday to Friday then a weekly or monthly season ticket is likely to be the best way for you to save money. Railcards do not give discounts on season tickets.
There is NO minimum fare at weekends, on Public Holidays and during July and August. For full details of minimum fares, please ask at your local staffed station and some National Rail-licensed Travel Agents.
Not every ticket type is available for every journey that you may wish to make, and some time and train restrictions and/or minimum fares may apply, as indicated. To avoid confusion, please check before booking.
Sorry, you can't get your Railcard discount on:
- Season tickets including Travelcard Season tickets
- Eurostar tickets
- First Class fares (except First Class Advance and Weekend First for some train companies, as outlined above)
- Some Train Company specific promotional offers
- Tickets for special excursion or Charter trains and some coach/bus links, including Railair services
- Most London Underground and Docklands Light Railway tickets (unless using Oyster pay as you go)
Plan your journey
Want the quickest, easiest way from A to B? Find out with our online journey planner.
Love train journeys for less with East Coast BIG seat sale end...
Senior Railcard holders, win a fantastic two night stay with ...
Calling all 16-25 Railcard holders, fancy winning the ultimate...
We wonder if the budget-conscious bride had a Railcard to save...